Sunday, October 12, 2008, 1:05 AM
My name is...

so the very first assignment we got was to come up with some sort of visual composition that reflected and communicated our name and 2 things that we liked and hated. My thumbnnail sketches for brain storming are as belows:

I decided on doing I like doodling and hate hypocrites...
Doodling was rather straight forward, with my initial ideas utilising drawing materials to depict doodling. Somehow I still felt something was missing, finally I decided on taking the second sktech, the one with the super rubber-like-aka-mr-fantastic-arm design and develop it further.
What is doodling without well... DOODLING! so for the expanded design I decided on using hand drawn doodles since my technical 'expertise' (or lack of it) sort of prevented me from digitising it.
For hate, I chose to go with the first sketch showing a puppet being manipulated, much like how a hypocrite is two-faced, manipulative and backstabbing.

So after some doodling...


The arms are depicted as in the midst of creating the doodlings, thus conveying my love for doodling, which is further exuded in the bright and vibrant colours used, to show happiness, liking.

Expanding on the puppet idea, I created a full fledged design using the puppet itself to try and form my name. The back of the design is text taken from a random poem I found on the internet titled "The Hypocrite" by Delivasile Daniel.

Comments from the class and Jing generally pointed to the inability to really see my name, especially for the 'hate' design. I am satisfied with both ideas, and will thus improve on them, in particular, the 'hate' design to make my name much more visible, and look less like it was 'forced' into the design. Some suggestions were to play around with colours to differentiate the name.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Profile

Jun Lin

A subscriber of Living for the Moment.

An aspiring artist (or so he likes to think) who believes that if he is pleased with his own work, then that is what matters.
And you should too.

For in your own doodle realm... you are truly free...

Links

deviant art

Archives

  1. September 2008
  1. October 2008
  1. November 2008